Chakras are various centres of energy that are mainly located on the midline of the body. In total there are about seven chakras and each has its own special characteristics and importance. They govern our psychological properties. Usually the chakras located on the lower part of our body are considered to be our instinctual side and the highest ones are our mental side. These chakras have various levels of activities and they are considered to be functional when they are 'open'. In an ideal situation all the chakras contribute to our wellbeing. Our instincts usually work together with our feelings and thinking. But there are times when our chakras are not open and thus not fully functional. Some chakras are not open properly and thus not active and to compensate it other chakras are over active. In an ideal situation all the chakras should be perfectly balanced.
There are a lot of techniques that are available to balance the chakras and many of them are used frequently. As mentioned earlier there are some chakras which are overactive and hence there is no point in trying to make them less active as they are compensating other chakras that are not yet open. Thus the focus should be to open the inactive chakras. Usually one has to perform the chakra meditation which uses the mudras and sounds to open the chakras. In this practice they use special hand positions or mudras to open the chakras. These mudras have special power to send more energy to particular chakras. To make the process more effective sometimes sounds are chanted. These sounds are usually taken from the Sanskrit letters. When these sounds are being chanted they cause a resonation in your body that you can feel at the chakra they are meant for. The best way to open the chakras is from the lower chakras and then slowly moves upwards.
There are about seven chakras and a brief introduction of all the seven is as follows –
- Muladhara Chakra (Root Chakra) – The root chakra gives you a feeling that you are physically present at a place white at the same time feeling at home in situations. In situations when it is open you feel that you are grounded, stable and secure. You seldom distrust people and you feel a sense of being in the present and also a strong sense of connection to your physical body. You will feel that you have enough territory of your own. In case this chakra is inactive you will feel nervous and fearful. In case this is over active you will feel materialistic and greedy.
- Swadhisthana Chakra (Sacral Chakra) – This chakra is about feeling and sexuality. When this chakra is open you feel a free flow of energy and feelings. You can express yourself without being over – emotional. You are also comfortable being intimate, passionate and lively. You will find it quite easy to deal with your sexuality. In circumstances this chakra is inactive you will be stiff and unemotional. You will not be very open to people. When this chakra is over active you will be emotional all the time. You can feel very sexual and emotionally attached to people around you.
- Manipura Chakra (Navel Chakra) - This chakra helps you make yourself assertive in a group. When this chakra opens you feel that you are in control and will also experience high self-esteem. At times when this chakra is under active you will become passive and indecisive and will also be very timid and will not be able to get what you want. During times when this chakra is over active you will be very domineering and even aggressive.
- Anahata Chakra (Heart Chakra) – This is the fourth chakra and it is all about love, kindness and affection. When this chakra is open you will become kind, compassionate and friendly and all your relationships will be harmonious. When this chakra is under active you will become cold and distant and when this is over active you will suffocate people with your love and might even have selfish reasons behind your love.
- Vishuddhi Chakra (Throat Chakra) – This is the fifth chakra and it is all about self-expression and talking. It helps you express your feelings and talk freely. When this chakra is properly open you will have no problems expressing yourself and you will do all this in a very artistic way as well. In case of this chakra being underactive you won't be able to speak much and will probably have an introverted and shy personality. In cases when this chakra is over active you will speak a lot and this will usually be done to keep people at a distance and dominate them. You will also become a bad listener and will stress only on talking and talking but not listening.
- Ajna Chakra (Third Eye Chakra) – This is the 6th chakra and is all about insight and visualization. When this chakra is open it will help you have a good intuition and will give you the powers to fantasize. In case this chakra is under active you will lose your power of thinking and won't be very good at it. You will rely a lot on authorities. You will have rigid thoughts and will be too much inclined to beliefs. It might even lead to a lot of confusion. In case when this chakra is over active you will live in a world of fantasy. In extreme cases you might even hallucinate.
- Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra) – This is the seventh and the final chakra and is all about wisdom and being one with the world. In case this chakra is open you will become unprejudiced and quite aware of the world and yourself. In case this chakra is under active you will lose awareness about your spirituality and will also become quite rigid in your thinking. In case this chakra is over active then you will be intellectualizing things too much. It will also make you addicted to spirituality and will make you ignore all your bodily needs are you are too hooked to all spiritual things.